Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Dischidia nummularia, New Caledonia

I see Dischidia nummularia is recorded on the Loyalty Islands. This extremely widespread optional myrmecophyte is a frequent member of ant-plant guilds in southeast Asia where it often piggybacks on more dedicated mutualisms by sending roots into the ant refuse that builds up in the ant-domatia of various other species, thus here D. nummularia is a semi parasite. Yet it also is a common member of ant gardens where perforce it is a true mutualist. It is rare to find this species without other ant-plants being nearby. For me this is a new location record and it makes me wonder why it has not reached the Fijian islands.

French speakers may find more.         http://herbier-noumea.plantnet-project.org/

There is nothing specific on the above website that I am aware of but I haven't used by schoolboy French for about fifty years so there may be useful snippets of information I will not be aware of.  There have been many instances during my searches of the literature where my lack of knowledge of a number of languages has been an impediment to my (thus indirectly our) learning curve. Dual language readers of my forthcoming book will find numerous instances where their first language abilities could add to our collective knowledge base.  But of course only if there is a desire to give something back to this community along with the abilities to use such information.  Sadly the learning curve on the currently 418 member Facebook group seems to be almost zero. 

Now about 500 members but no change in the learning curve

Archived