Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

According to Livshultz (2005) this species is associated with ants of the genus Crematogaster.  I currently grow 2 clones; a clone from Laos and a clone from the Philippines (specifically Quezon).

The Laotian clone is densely covered in hairs and is extremely slow and difficult to cultivate.  As it grows, it forms thick mats of foliage.  The Philippine clone is also difficult but a little easier to cultivate and also forms dense mats of foliage as it matures (however the foliage is mostly glabrous).  Livshultz did not know of the Philippine clone at the time she noted the Laotian species' association with ants but I am including it here to illustrate the species in its entirety as best I can.

At first appearance, this species is easily confused with Dischidia nummularia.  Oddly, it is more closely related to D. parvifolia (Livshultz 2005).

post-27-0-38763100-1394761507_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-31242700-1394761509_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-49973000-1394761544.jpg

post-27-0-90295700-1394761544.jpg

• 2 months later...

I would like mine to grow on support boards, but I found, as you suggested Antone, that they would grow better in pots.  At first, I didn't listen, not wanting to tear apart all the hard work I did of placing them all on boards, but found once I did I noticed a great improvement.  I am working around the idea of still having them grow on some sort of flat support while still being planted in a pot.  Maybe wrap wire around the pot so the board doesn't move.  Not sure.  Love this plant, Antone.

If you don't have a greenhouse or live somewhere very humid, you're going to have trouble growing them mounted. Potting them works better for those instances but you tend to have to be a bit more careful not to over water them. It's nearly impossible to over water a mounted plant but not everyone can do it that way.

This is a great little species. Still rather rare.

Archived