Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

H. montis-kani Val. (Theodoric Valeton) Just's botanischer jahresbericht. Systematisch geordnetes repertorium der botanischen literatur aller länder, vol.61, p138, (1927). (Bot. Jahrb. Syst.)

Collection. At 1000 m. (3281 ft.) (auf Bäumen den wäldern = on trees in the forest) des Kani-Gebirges. PNG. http://plants.jstor.org/stable/10.5555/al.ap.specimen.k000761963

Thanks for this. On another subject. I see that the Harvard Herbarium is working to provide high resolution images of their specimens which will be a big improvement for those that do not have paid access to the Jstor images.  I will provide links where possible.

Thanks Derrick,

I think that might be very very interesting to compare all these different descriptions of species!

I will try to find an old map of PNG especially the of Kaiser-Wilhelms-Land, the old german collony. My great-grandfather had a collectible atlas with lots of maps from that time. Maybe such a map could help to identify these old german landscape names.

All the best

Philipp

As you might know, these places are very hard to determine with the normal maps. Even the older maps I found on the internet show often only the settled places in the coastal areas and around the rivers.

Unfortunately the connection of the colonial names to the names used today seem to be lost in many cases.There are some maps from geological societies, that might help. I hope to find more information about that.

Archived