Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Myrmecodia platytyrea - Symbiosis Philidris laevigata

inbound7359114297666143357.thumb.jpg.b1299a8b6bd27ef250918aeaea347270.jpgHi, that's my first post, I'm Filippo an experienced ant keeper (12 years of antkeeping) from Italy (pls forgive me for my English), I have many colonies and one of them is a Philidris laevigata one that is 4 years old in symbiosis with many Ant plants in a terrarium. One of these plants is a Myrmecodia platytyrea and now it is blooming for the first time. The ants are cutting out one of the 3 flowers on the plant (the biggest one).

In the past I saw them doing this  to the older plant in the terrarium too (Hydnophytum papuanum), but I had seeds form it, then they don't "kill"all the flowers.

In this video you can see the ants removing the flower and going inside it, that I suppose they do this to eat it.

Someone know this behaviour, and why they do this if in nature normally these species are in symbiosis? They are ruining the plant reproduction right? Is this interesting?

Thank you all for your time

I have observed ants eating the flowers of cultivated plants. The link above has some information regarding ants eating the flowers of plants in situ.

Also here:

Epiphytic Myrmecophytes Bizarre Wonders of Nature, chapter 10 Myrmecodia part 1, page 22. There's more information on ant/flower interactions in the chapters of this book.