Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Myrmephytum spec. - from Antimona (Quezon), Luzon, Philippines

Andreas Wistuba

Here are a few pictures of a nice Myrmephytum species from Antimona (Quezon, Luzon, Philippines).

The species strongly resembles the plant that is nowadays grown as Myrmephytum beccarii. However in M. beccarii, at least in my hands, stems turn brownish very quickly and the caudex is brownish as well. In the Antimona-plants the stems do not turn brownish, and the sterile portion appears to be much longer.

Recently I had my first flowers but unfortunately always missed to photograph them. However, in comparison to M. beccarii, they appeared to be very small.

I hope to catch the next one to share a few pictures.

Whole plant:

post-1-0-42573800-1393324195_thumb.jpg

Details:

post-1-0-85538700-1393324206_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-26911800-1393324199_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-84842900-1393324203_thumb.jpg

We have to wait for the flowers, which are really different between the two species, but this Myrmephytum remind me our M. selebicum...

https://picasaweb.google.com/115123529972931132238/MyrmephytumSelebicum19973174

But the petioles are also really significant to distinguish it: this one have long petioles, just like M. beccarii...

An intermediate species?

you speak to M.beccarii  :)

OK for the age I have seen this difference

when I see  the spine ( the root) on the tuber  for me this one have a high growth .

for me on these species the internode are not a discreminant , you can have  these one short or long .

you use like fertilizer what NPK ?  have you for them a artificiel light , what °K ?

JEFF

Hi Jeff,

They are hanging side by side in the greenhouse - no artificial lights in this area of the greenhouse.

I would call growing conditions for both plants identical.

The brown stems in the M. beccarii are consistent in all plants I have. As is the green colored stem in the Antimona plants that I grow.

I do not postulate that it is a new species but I feel it deserves a closer look as it might be one.

I wait for the next round of flowers for comparison.

All the best

Andreas

yes the flower comparison is a good thing  .

you make like the FRANK method, to see the anthers-the stigma-the hair ring's  ? 

your artificial light if you have in your green house , what °k  ?

jeff

For the flowers, this always depends on time....

Often I do not find time to take a picture at all, to be honest. Let's vote for days having 48 hours... ;)

But I'll do my best.

Concerning lights I more and more switch to LED. °K only applies for white light. 

All the best

Andreas

Bonjour

ANDREAS  take your time .

there is no fire at Lake :D

you know for the led  you have also red,blue and like you white ,these different colors do not have the same effect on plants.

jeff

Bonjour

ANDREAS  take your time .

there is no fire at Lake :D

you know for the led  you have also red,blue and like you white ,these different colors do not have the same effect on plants.

jeff

Hi Jeff,

I use custom made Strips and Growlights with combinations of different red wavelengths, different blue wavelengths, orange, near UV and IR.

I did a lot of testing but now I am very happy with the results.

Here is a view into the growing room, where the plants are established for 4-6 weeks after tissue culture before they get transfered into the greenhouse (all Carnivorous Plants):

post-1-0-72400200-1393668953_thumb.jpg

All the best

Andreas

Archived