Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Huxley and Jebb Hydnophytum revision is published!!!

• Frank pinned this topic

Thank you for the heads-up, Frank!

An excellent resource and, obviously, much to quibble with. It is clear that the authors have taken a very "safe" route and only accepted species with very clear major morphological differences. The placement of the species treated into natural "Groups" is a very useful development. While this treatment is not necessarily new, it is very well fleshed-out in the paper.

The sinking of all Philippine Hydnophytum spp. into H. formicarum and H. moseleyanum may warrant closer scrutiny down the road.

J

As I update Epiphytic Myrmecophytes: Bizarre Wonder of Nature 2019 (currently almost through chapter 9, Hydnophytum, I uncovered quite a number of hints of what to expect in a revision.

About a week ago someone on the WWW reported that this revision was imminent  but I found that vary hard to believe. We had waited soooo long.

I now have to re-evaluate this entire chapter that has already involved many months of work.  It has been designed primarily as a searchable a database, supported with photographs wherever possible. So it probably still has value for a wide range of enthusiasts.  

I do wonder how much will change as botanists apply ever more molecular genetics in their work; for example, some of what are only suggested manuscript names may need to be resurrected.  My database probably has most of them. 

Edited by Derrick
typographical error

Thank you Frank!  Great reading and the illustrations by Rosemary Wise are fantastic!.   The retention of the morphologically Hydnophytum-like Squamellaria  in the genus Squamellaria for purposes of 'stability' and to support a 'Phylogenetic Concept' indicates (at least to me) that future genetic investigations into the group may eventually lead to some differing conclusions.  Don't throw those old names away yet!