Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Myrmecodia Beccarii watering and temperature

Scuipici

I am also a novice with these plants. I have a few Myr beccarii in my greenhouse. Living in SE Michigan, our winters are pretty gray most days and currently on a gray day the plants are receiving about 140FC of light. I keep the greenhouse between 70F day/62F night. Humidity fluctuates 60%+/-  I allow them to dry ever so slightly and then soak them. I have continuous air circulation. Having said all of this, I have been noticing some leaf drop and not certain why, so I could be doing something wrong. 

7 hours ago, Bikerdoc said:

I am also a novice with these plants. I have a few Myr beccarii in my greenhouse. Living in SE Michigan, our winters are pretty gray most days and currently on a gray day the plants are receiving about 140FC of light. I keep the greenhouse between 70F day/62F night. Humidity fluctuates 60%+/-  I allow them to dry ever so slightly and then soak them. I have continuous air circulation. Having said all of this, I have been noticing some leaf drop and not certain why, so I could be doing something wrong. 

That was my problem also. About 3 leaves turned yellow and died and none since, I don't know if the leaves were old and the plant did that or it's some under stress. The plant flowered tho, but I missed the flowering and started to notice some white fruits like some cacti have. I let the plant to dry completely and then water it, it sits on a windowsill and the temp is around 18-20 celsius at night but during the day it gets to around 25C. I'm also wondering about fertilizations because these guys don't get much nutrients from the bark,  so they get extra nutrients from ants droppings ( at least that's what i read ). Obviously my plant doesn't have that kind of ant species and the media seems to be coconut fibre which is poor in nutrients. I would like to give it a fertilizer but I don't know if they like to be sprayed with a fertilizer in cultivation. Thanks for the help!

• 3 weeks later...

Bonjour

I use  2 fertilizer for these plants

NPK : 23.5.5  for green plants

NPK : 13.19.19 now like my amorphophallus  here I favor the P (phosphorus for root development) and the K (potassium for flowering and fruit development (drupes))

between 2 fertilizations use rainwater

jeff