Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Wood for Tillandsia caput-medusa

Acro

I haven't been on here in a LONG time!

Anyway, I have a Tillandsia caput-medusa that has been growing unrooted, and I'd like to mount it on a piece of wood.  I'm curious to hear the experiences of other growers; what type of wood have you mounted Tillandsia caput-medusa onto?  I have Grapewood and Cork bark readily available.  I could also get a chunk of Coconut Husk, if that would be suitable. 

Please share your thoughts and experiences.  :)

For a broader understanding of preferred bark types I would like to hear from those with field experience in the Americas, especially those with an interest in xerophytic tillandsias, the species of most relevance herein.

Here and there in the literature there are hints that rough-barked species may be more preferred, all being equal, probably because they are easier for seedlings to establish upon. However, this criterion is not so important in cultivation where artificial mountings (glue, wire etc.) are usually used, but it may make establishing offsets a little easier. 

In one study of seasonally dry forests, 40% of Bromeliad species were found on only 5% of tree species, most especially on trees with compound leaves that permitted better light penetration. Indeed, and perhaps surprisingly, the importance of leaf type overrode that of bark type. (Reyes-Garcia et al. 2007.)

Low deciduous forests and medium height forests appear regularly in the literature (again, at the very least, seasonally higher light levels probably restrict potentially out-competing epiphytes) as do Taxodium cypress forests on swamp hammocks, Quercus oak forests, mangroves and even large cacti.  A few particularly tenacious (but non-myrmecodomic) tillandsias are even common on fence and electricity wires.

Some barks may contain chemicals inimical to epiphytes, so weathered timbers may be safer, but I expect that most local tree species around the world will provide useful mounts.  Certainly, if one has local trees supporting epiphytes, even non vascular species, then one probably has a safe mount.

Incidentally, its Tillandsia caput medusae

Thanks Derrick,

I figured that rough bark would be better for offsets too.  Then there's the thought that rough bark will hold moisture a little longer, which may be benificial in establishing the plant.

It's fascinating to know that light penetration won out over bark texture!  It's understandable, but not something that comes to ones mind right away. 

I remember seeing Tillandsias growing on fences and electric wires back when I lived in Florida.  They were beautiful, unfortunately the electric company and many people didn't think so, and would remove them from their established spots!

When I was on the forum, about 6 months ago, I remember you were writing another book.  Has it become available?

Bonjour

in europe we often find these plants, mounted on cork oak bark, such as epiphytes orchid ,Lecanopteris, fern, bromeliad, etc., among fans no glue, just an ephemeral fixation for it is rooted in the bark, even them

JEFF

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been on here in a LONG time!

Anyway, I have a Tillandsia caput-medusa that has been growing unrooted, and I'd like to mount it on a piece of wood.  I'm curious to hear the experiences of other growers; what type of wood have you mounted Tillandsia caput-medusa onto?  I have Grapewood and Cork bark readily available.  I could also get a chunk of Coconut Husk, if that would be suitable. 

Please share your thoughts and experiences.  :)

Hello Acro,

personally I am restricting my Ant Plant activities mainly to Hydnophytinae but there Cork bark works very well. It's used by growers of other epiphytic plants as well and I'd bet by 99% that it will also work nicely for bomeliads. I also have a few Myrmecodias mounted onto Grapewood. While it looks very nice from the distance, the roots of Myrmecodia do not really "stick" on the surface. They do so on the Cork.

All the best

Andreas

Archived