Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Hydnophytum longiflorum, Colo i Suva Forest Park, Viti Levu, Fiji.

Fijian Hydnophytum.

Jebb in his (2009) report advising of his ‘coming’ revision, states that he accepts Fiji has but two species of hydnophytums.

http://www.botanicgardens.ie/herb/research/hydnophytum.htm

There is a very confusing mix of names in the record, so I am using bold type for the two species names that I have used in my habitat images.  I now suspect they may be incorrect.

When I set out to photograph Fijian ant-plants I expected there would be two species of hydnophytums, namely H. grandiflorum and H. longiflorum. The English language type descriptions I used for the two names in my images (see below in bold type) were provided by a student at the University of the South Pacific in Suva during my visit there.  He was not aware of their source but he advised that the two Hydnophytum names that he accepted in Fiji were H. longiflorum Gray (1858) and H. wilkinsonii Horne ex Baker (1883) which were the two names published prior to Beccari’s descriptions.  Odoardo Beccari published five Fijian hydnophytum names but presumably (some of) these are no longer accepted.

H. grandiflorum Beccari in Malesia 2. 1885; therefore, may be a synonym for H. longiflorum Asa Gray in Proceedings American Academy Arts 4, 1858.

However, Flora Vitiensis Nova (1988), has this to say: “Typification and nomenclature: In describing Hydnophytum grandiflorum, Beccari cited two specimens. An appropriate citation is: Graeffe (k lectotype here designated), collected in December, 1864, on Mt. Tana Lailai, Ovalau (Island). Home (k), also from Ovalau, is then a paratype. The Graeffe specimen provided the description of the flower and the Home material that of the fruit. The name Myrmecodia vitiensis was based on Seemann 216 (bm, k), collected on Mt. Mbuke Levu, Kandavu (Kadavu Island), on Sept. 6, 1860. Subsequently this name was erroneously referred to H. longiflorum by Gray and others, but Seemann's collection clearly represents H. grandiflorum. In fact, Beccari's entire treatment of H. longiflorum, including his drawings, is based on Seemann's collection; he did not see type material of H. longiflorum and consequently did not appreciate its similarity to his own H. horneanum and H. tenuiflorum.  Distribution: Endemic to Fiji and now known from five of the high islands; a few additional specimens probably of this species but not seen during the present review are not cited.  Local name: Only one collection, from Mba Province, (Viti Levu) indicates a local name, sekeseke.”

H. horneanum Beccari in Malesia 2 (3)1885.  A Fijian name reduced to synonymy of H. 1ongiflorum Gray by Smith & Darwin (1988.)  However, there is one dubious record attributed to H. horneanum from Palau (Belau) Island in the Caroline Islands, Micronesia, by Kraemer (1910.)  I quote, “We have little doubt that a tuberous myrmecophilous Rubiaceae was found by Kraemer, and hope that, by including and discussing it, we may interest collectors in searching for it.  If found again it would be one of the most interesting of Palauan plants.” (Smith & Darwin 1988.)

H. longiflorum Asa Gray, in Proceedings American Academy of Arts and Sciences Vol. 4, April (1858.)  From which I quote. “Hydnophytum longiflorum (Gray L. c.), folius elongato-oblongis; corolla gracillima (semipollicari) intus glabra, (hence corolla very slender and hairless within, which is opposite to that in the description that follows) tubo oblongis pluries longiore; stigmatibus 2 petaloideis reniformibus; drupa dipyrena. Feejee (sic) Islands.  The Tropicos database has no publication record as I write this on December 2013, but as one can infer from my reference and quote above, this information is digitized and available online.

Flora Vitiensis Nova (1988) has this to add. " Basionym? Myrmecodia vitiensis Seemann, Bonplandia 9, p256, 1861. (Fig. 3.10) Type: Fiji Islands, Kadavu Island, Seemann 216. Synonyms H. grandiflorum Beccari in Malesia 2, 1884.  However, 1858 would surely precede 1861.

Another Type Description (source unknown but Jebb seems probable.) Tuber broadly conical, slightly lobed at periphery, growing horizontally to 35 x 30 cm. Surface dark brown, smooth. Entrance holes conical to 1 cm across, with a prominent rim, or large and funnel like to 4 cm across. Stems numerous, branching freely with 2 slight ridges running from below the stipules; spreading to upcurved, to 40 x 0.6 cm. Internodes to 7 cm when sterile, 0.4-2(4) cm when fertile.  Leaves clustered, erect to spreading. Lamina 4 x 2 to 5.3 x 3.1 elliptic to ovate, apex rounded to acute, base abruptly tapered to cordate; leathery and brittle. Midrib prominent above and below, rounded. Veins 4-6 pairs. Petiole to 0.2 cm. rounded. Stipules rounded 0.1-0.3 cm, with a prominent central process to 0.3 cm, continuous with stem ridge; caducous. Inflorescence terminal and axillary, solitary, shortly pedunculate. Bracts c. 1mm papery. Flowers heterogamous. Calyx entire, to 2 mm. Corolla white, tube 15 to 46 mm long, lobes to 10 x 5.5 mm, elliptic, uncus 1-2 mm; (uncus are vascular bundles or ribs that form the branching framework of conducting and supporting tissues in a flower, leaf or other expanded plant organ.) with a ring of hairs at the mouth of the corolla tube. Stamens exerted from mouth of tube. In male – sterile flowers the anthers 1.2-2.5 mm, and lacking pollen, the stigma capitate, broadly four lobed, and exserted from the corolla mouth, to 3 mm across. In female-sterile flowers the anthers 2.5-3.5 mm filled with pollen, 105-130 µm in diameter, walls 7.5 µm thick, reticulations 8-15 µm across. The style to 6 mm, not attached to disc. Disc at or slightly above level of calyx, not prominent in the fruit. Fruit globose to 12 x 9 mm, baccate, gooseberry to pink in colour when ripe, pyrenes 2-3, 5.5 x 2.5 mm.

Flora Vitiensis Nova (1988) has this to say using the (synonym?) H. grandiflorum.Epiphytic shrub (or sometimes on cliffs or in rocky places in forest), with ant- inhabited tubers to 30 cm. in diameter and with sub erect to trailing branches 0.3-2 m. long, occurring at elevations from near sea level to 1127 m. (3698 ft.) in dense or thin forest or in the forests of crests and ridges. The calyx at anthesis is pale green, and the corolla, anthers, style, and stigma are white, the corolla fading to yellow with age. Flowers have been obtained between September and February (and also in May and June); fruits seem infrequent but may occur together with flowers.”

Range, (from various sources) endemic to Fiji, known from Viti Levu and nearby Ovalau Island, supposedly very frequent in the south-eastern parts of Viti Levu from which Hydnophytum grandiflorum (correctly H. wilkinsonii???) seems absent. Records, Viti Levu Island, Nadroga-Navosa Province, Nausori Highlands.  I explored a circuit into the Nausori Highlands that starts near Nadi and finally exits at Ba on the north coast road but I saw no hydnophytums in this seasonally dry south west side of the island.  Namosi Province, Mt. Naitarandamu 784 m (2572 ft.) above Suva in the island's wetter side ranks as the 3rd highest mountain in Central Province and the 15th highest mountain in Fiji.  The villages of Wainimakutu, Naraiyawa and Nanggarawai are nearby. Also hills north of Wainavindrau Creek, between Korombasambasanga Range and Mt. Naitarandamu. Naitasiri Province (north & east of Suva), Colo-i-Suva Forest Park (pronounced Tholo-i-Suva) is located only 11km north of Suva on Princes rd., past Tamavua and Tacirua villages. I found a few dozen specimens here.  There are more Records in the general Colo-i-Suva area, Toninaiwau (easy road access), vicinity of Tamavua Village, and vicinity of Nasinu (now the most populous municipality in Fiji, therefore these are now highly unlikely places to find specimens. Tailevu (north of Suva), Hills east of Wainimbuka River, (off Kings Rd.) vicinity of Ndakuivuna (on Kings Rd.).  Rewa Province, Southeastern slopes of Mt. Korombamba (in Colo i Suva Park.).  East of Suva Harbour, Province Unknown, in forest near Mt. Ngamo (?), vicinity of Ngaloa (?).  Ovalau Island, Hills southeast of Mbureta River valley on the western side of the island with a coast road. Also, near stream above Levuka reservoir

H. tenuiflorum Beccari in Malesia 2, 169, 1884. A synonym for H. wilkinsonii or ?

H. wilkinsonii John Horne ex John Gilbert Baker, in Journal of the Linnean Society, Botany 20, p365, 1883. Home, A year in Fiji p263. Type: Fiji, Vanua Levu, Bua, Home 1078 (K)

Synonyms H. horneanum Becc. H. tenuiflorum Becc.

Type Description (source unknown ). “Tuber clasping flattened to rounded, irregular, to 30 x 27 cm. Surface brown, bearded with flexible, slightly recurved spines. Entrance holes scattered, conical to 4 mm, or funnel-like and irregular. Stems several to numerous, branching freely, erect to upcurving to 40 x 0.8 cm. Internodes to 7 cm when sterile, 0.5 to 3 cm when fertile. Leaves erect to spreading. Lamina 3 x 1 to 8 x 4 cm, elliptic, apex rounded to acute, base acuminate to tapered, leathery. Midrib prominent below, c. 4-6 veins. Petiole 0 to 1 cm, rounded. Stipules rounded, to 2 mm, with a short, recurved central process to 1 mm, which is contiguous with the stem ridge; caducous. Inflorescence terminal and axillary, solitary, shortly pedunculate. Bracts to 1 mm papery, more or less persistent. Flowers [5] heterogamous. Calyx 4 cuspidate or entire to 1 mm. Corolla white, tube 10 to 18 mm, lobes 2.5 to 4 mm, elliptic to rounded, uncus 1 mm; entirely glabrous within. Stamens exerted at mouth of corolla tube. In male-sterile flowers the anthers 0.5 to 1 mm, containing no pollen, the stigma exerted, capitate, broadly four lobed, to 1.5 mm across. In female-sterile flowers the anthers 1.5 to 2 mm, containing 4 colpate pollen, 74-94 µm, wall 7.5 µm thick, reticulation coarse, with fine spines within the reticulations, these 6-12 µm across. Disc prominent to 1 mm above level of calyx, persistent in fruit. Fruit turbinate, with prominent disc at apex, flattened, to 7 x 4 mm, siccate, green and pink in colour when ripe. Pyrenes 2, to 5x2 mm, elliptic - oblong, blunt and rounded at apex, flattened at base.”

Records, Viti Levu Island, Mba (Ba) Province, Vicinity of Nadarivatu and summit of Mt. Nanggaranambuluta (Lomalangi), east of Nadarivatu (pronounced Nandarivatu).  Nadarivatu & Mt Tomanivi/Mt Victoria.  Ridge between Mt. Nanggaranambuluta and Mt. Namama.  An ant-plant (Hydnophytum?) record on Monasavu (Dam) Rd. 1.75 km S. E. Waimoque Settlement, lat. 17.6703 S. Long. 177.994 E. may belong here.  Mitchell (1986) reports another Hydnophytum on a part flooded tree in the dam itself.  The Dam location is at about 1000 m (3281 ft.) just south of Tomanivi/Mt Victoria.

Namosi Province, On Mt. Voma at 1204 m (3,950 ft.) the third highest Fijian peak being part of the dividing range running north south.  Summit of Mt. VakaRongasiu north of Navua on the south coast.

Naitasiri Province (north & east of Suva), Northern portion of Rairaimatuku Plateau, between Mt. Tomanivi/Victoria and Nasonggo (Lat.17.66667 S. Long. 178.083 E. at 490 m. (1608 ft.)

Tailevu Province, Hills east of Wainimbuka River, in vicinity of Ndakuivuna.

Vanua Levu Island, Mathuata (Macuata) Province, Southern slopes of Mt. Numbuiloa, east of Lambasa Town.  Thakaundrove Province, Mt. Mariko (Drayton Peak) 881 m. (2890 ft.)  Taveuni Island, Borders of lake east of Somosomo village on the central north coast.  Ovalau Island; Mt. Tana Lailai and summit of Mt. Ndelaiovalau and adjacent ridge at 575-626 m (1886-2054 ft.).  Also, near Levuka.  Kadavu (Kandavu) Island; Mt. Mbuke Levu, highest mountain on the island at 838 m (2,749 ft.)

Key to Fijian Hydnophytum after Albert C. Smith 1988.

Flora Vitiensis Nova: A New Flora of Fiji, Volume 4:

http://archive.org/stream/floravitiensisno41988smit/floravitiensisno41988smit_djvu.txt

Corolla barbate to pilose in throat, the tube (8-) 20-40 mm. long, the lobes pilose to papillose or rarely glabrous within, 4-1 2 (-1 5) x 1-5 (-7) mm.  Leaf blades ovate to elliptic to oblong-obovate, 1 .5-8 (-1 1) x 1-4.5 cm. rounded to truncate to subcordate (rarely acute) at base; petioles 0-2 (-8) mm. long. = H. grandiflorum sensu Beccari in Malesia 2: p171; fig- 13-25, (1885)  Epiphytic shrub (or sometimes on cliffs or in rocky places in forest), with ant-inhabited tubers to 30 cm. in diameter and with sub erect to trailing branches 0.3-2 m. long, occurring at elevations from near sea level to 1,127 m. in dense or thin forest or in the forests of crests and ridges. The calyx at anthesis is pale green, and the corolla, anthers, style, and stigma are white, the corolla fading to yellow with age. Flowers have been obtained between September and February (and also in May and June); fruits seem infrequent but may occur together with flowers.  

Corolla glabrous in throat. Fruits rounded at apex; leaf blades narrowly elliptic to oblanceolate to obovate, rarely oblong-obovate, narrowly attenuate at base (rarely obtuse to subcordate), 3-9.5 x 1.2-3.5 cm. (rarely to 12 x 5 cm.); petioles 2-12 mm. long; corolla tube (3-) 7-12 (-15) mm. long at anthesis, the lobes 2-3.5 x 1.5-2.2 mm = H. longiflorum.

I trust you are all confused because I certainly am.

Bonjour

ANDREAS what do you think?

JEFF

Hello Jeff, hello Derrick,

honestly, I do not know the legal rules under which these scans were obtained, but this is what counts.

Please make sure to respect copyright. As the initiator of the forum, I am the one who is responsible and might get into trouble if anything is posted here that breaches the rules of copyright....!

Personally, I have posted scans of papers that were almost 100 years old and even older and doubt there is much risk in doing so as the publishers of these papers in most cases do not exist anymore and depending on the country of publication, after +/- 99 years these publications are public domain anyway.

If in doubt, please swap any image that might cause a problem with copyright privately as I do not wish to harm this place or to get in trouble personally.

All the best

Andreas

Archived