Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

This might be the first time, that a picture of this relatively new species (1983) is published anywhere.

I took the slide in 1994. There are more and I have to screen through them...

I will maybe show a few more soon.

Hydnophytum crassicaule and H. vaccinifolium are fascinating terrestrially growing species only known from the alpine zone of Doormantop in West Papua (ca. 3200 meters high):

post-1-0-41564400-1392575206_thumb.jpg

Hi Aurelien,

the narrow leaved plant Christian is growing, certainly is H. ramispinum (last picture).

The round-leaved one (all other pics) is a bit of a mystery to me. 

Actually there are two species with spiny caudices known to occur in the area - H. ramispinum and H. confertifolium.

The leaf-shape of H. confertifolium fits quite well to the round leaved plant. However according to the type description, H. confertifolium is supposed to have leaves just a few millimeters across.

I have a picture of a huge plant in the wild: http://myrmecodia.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/46-hydnophytum-spec-round-leaves-spiny-caudex-doormanstop-plant-in-the-wild/?p=121

Interestingly, even though the caudex is so similar, leaves and most of all flowers are completely different.

All the best

Andreas

Interesting...

Christian says that the "true" H. ramispinum (with narrow leaves) give seeds occasionally, but those with round leaves never produce any fruits, even by crossed pollination...

Another mystery!

I think many Hydnophytinae are self-incompatible.

A few clones of Hydnophytum ramispinum are in cultivation, hence it works - sometimes.

The same holds true for H. vaccinifolium.

However, only one plant of the round leaved species is in cultivation.

All the best

Andreas 

• 3 months later...

Archived