Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Myrmephytum beccarii

Some thoughts for future cultivation images.  Although some information can be deduced from images, they will have enormously more value if supplied with as much background information as possible.  For example, temperature levels used, at least an estimate of light exposures provided, potting or whatever media used (if not obvious in the image), number of days since seed planted (very useful information) age of seed and source. (however, as this seed source is known, we can expect seed to be appropriately fresh and correctly packaged.)  Other possible impacting parameters such as the planter's current season and even local climate and weather.  Plus a later report if seedlings die.  

I didn't note the exact date of sowing, but we're at about the one month mark. Initial germination was very rapid, several seeds showed signs of germination upon receipt. All seeds which germinated did so within a little over a week. I can't say which seedling is which so I don't know if the seeds which were germinating upon arrival are among the dead or the living. Temperatures were room temp, ranging from high 60s to mid 70s. Humidity was maintained by keeping the seeds in a closed container with a daily inspection which provided gas exchange. Lighting was provided by 2 9W 6500K LEDs  approx 1' away. The medium was sterilized Chilean sphagnum. Germination rate was 60%, however 3 of the 6 seedlings didn't seem to develop properly and died, possibly from damping off. Of the 3 remaining seedlings, one is approximately a day or two behind the one in the pic. The 3rd has continued to develop, but much more slowly and I am not optimistic about its survival. I transplanted the two more vigorous seedlings to individual containers 3 days ago.

John:

I checked our email exchange and it seems as if you would have sown this material on April 23rd or 24th. Hard to say what happened with the seed in transit. While I have not had any problems with domestic seed sourced from Frank, many people have complained about reduced seed viability of ant rubiacs that transit through international mail services.

The seed was freshly harvested and cherry-picked. In any event, if the remaining seedlings blow up on you I'll get you a couple older seedlings over the summer.

You may be keeping them too wet. I have germinated fairly large numbers of myrmephytums over the course of the past two years and do not find them tricky as seedlings. See image below of batch from late summer 2011 in a large Sterilite clamshell on NZ sphagnum. Seed from this lot was air-mailed to a collector in Southeast Asia from California and managed OK germination rates. I let the sphagnum get barely damp to the touch between waterings once seed has germinated.

J

post-61-0-88921700-1400868341_thumb.jpg

Too wet is a distinct possibility Jay. All of the seedlings I got were from seed that landed right on top of the media, none that fell into the nooks and crannies developed at all. The seeds that arrived already germinated were not far along, just a little white nub sticking out the pointy end of the seed. I'll  pull the covers off of the pots to let the media dry a bit, and then just keep it damp. Humidity is on the rise around here anyway, so they won't dry out too quickly. When & how much should I start fertilizing? 

Just moved the seedlings outdoors. Temps shouldn't get below 50F until fall. Plants are located underneath a south facing overhang, where they could catch a bit of sun first thing, but within an hour or so they'll be in shade the remainder of the day. Weather will be cloudy for the next few days anyway.

John:

You are certainly brave.

Please note Andreas' recent caveat regarding the succulent edibility of these things to the molluscan hordes. You had best keep these things, far, far, far, far away from any access by slug or snail or you will soon waken to empty pots.

Better yet, find a more suitable place indoors to grow them under your watchful eye for a while longer.

J

Ah I do have slight problems with a tiny species of snail. They don't cause real concern with larger plants, but I could see them eliminating these little guys. Thanks for the heads up Jay, I have an indoor spot they can have.

Archived