Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Myrmecodia spec. - from from Timika, Irian Jaya

I have attached several photos of the young plant that I received from Frank last year, labeled ex-Timika, WP. I am very reluctant to say that this is the same sp. illustrated above, and would be very interested to see whether the young plants that Frank retained resemble this one or whether there was a mixed seed collection at origin. While the plant is only ~15 cm tall, at this point most Myrmecodia spp. begin to resemble mature plants. The very distinct ridges on the particolored caudex and the rather blunt root spines do not suggest that this is going to resemble the plants depicted above. Please not how much the adult plants resembled sp. "Goose", but how wildly different the respective young plants look at similar ages.

In any case, a very distinct and showy species that is very fast-growing. Hopefully, straightforward with regards to its reproduction!

post-61-0-05341900-1399910150_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-30058100-1399910176_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-30324700-1399910211_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-38004000-1399910253_thumb.jpg

Hello,

Could this plant have some affinities with Myrmecodia lanceolata/M. tuberosa 'lanceolata' ?

The smooth and longitudinally ridged caudex, the great bracts, the long and white petioles associated with quite narrow blade remind me an accession we grow at Nancy, which taxon I had rapproached from M. tuberosa 'lanceolata' following J&C keys...

The best,

Aurélien

Hi Aurelien,  Nice try at that and it certainly fits this plant to some degree but I think too much is wrong with the spines.for it to be M. tuberosa 'lanceolata'.    M. tuberosa 'lanceolata' has "spines few, simple , short (3-5 mm)".   None of these spine descriptions fit this Timika plant - it has lots of spines, many are branched,  and compared to the thumb in the one photo I think the spines look to be over a cm long.   And while the leaf shape and petiole seem to be a fit for lanceolata the number of lateral veins is more than the 10 per leaf the H & J say lanceolata has.

regards,  Frank

Sorry, you can ignore this post - I though Aurelien was referring to the first of the Timika plants, the one that has been moved to the other Timika thread - not the plant pictured in this thread that Jay is growing.  Frank

Archived