Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Hydnophytum formicarum or H. formicarium????

Both Tropicos and Ipni use the spelling formicarum not formicarium as does Jack's original description on page 124 of the Transactions of the Linnean Society 1823 (available online) based on Rumphius basionym that also uses formicarum.

"Dr. Jack's Account of the Lansium HYDNOPHYTUM.
Tetrandria Monogynia. N. 0. Rubiacea. Juss. Calyx integer. Corolla limbo 4-fido, fauce pilosa. Stamina 4, brevia, fauci inserta. Stigma bifidum. Bacca disperma.
Super arbores parasitica, basi tuberosa, floribus axillaribus.
Hydnophytum formicarum.
Nidus germinans formicarum nigrarum. Rumph.Amb. vi.p. lip. t. 55. Jig. 1.
Prio Hantu. Malay.
On trees in the forests of Sumatra. This grows parasitic on trees in the form of a large irregular tuber, fastening itself to them by fibrous roots, and throwing
out several branches above. The tuber is generally inhabited by ants, and hollowed by them into numerous winding passages, which frequently extend a good way along the branches also, giving them the appearance of being fistular." SNIP.

Am i missing something???

for me it is a anteriority problem .

the first description of the species is always  the real name  or spelling .

see the ICBN rules .

jeff

Not necessarily. Botanic code ICBN allows correction of grammatical or spelling errors.

Therefore there is a lot of debate on whether Heliamphora ionasii or Heliamphora ionasi is correct.

All the best

Andreas

Thus has a correction ever been published?

If it's a clear spelling error, there is no need to publish a correction. You may just use the correct form.

However, my remaining Latin is so rudimentary, that I have no clue if there is anything wrong technically with "H. formicarium".

All the best

Andreas

So why do you use formicarium?  I am confused!

Oh, now I get the point.

Honestly long ago when I was not yet into Ant Plants and got my first one it was labelled H. formicarium.

I never thought about it, used the name and it somehow got "burnt" into my brain, I guess.

If you had not brought this up I might have continued to use the name for the rest of my life without even taking any notice about the extra "i".

Sorry for confusion and thank you for bringing this up.

All the best

Andreas (quite ashamed for not being able to write the name of the most common Hydnophytum correctly.... :o )  

Sorry for confusion and thank you for bringing this up.

All the best

Andreas (quite ashamed for not being able to write the name of the most common Hydnophytum correctly.... :o )  

As I have said before to others, apologies are not required.  Through this and the Facebook group I have already corrected many errors and omissions of my own.  The advantage of sharing informations.  There is good reason why most scientific papers are now written by teams.

Archived