Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Disease/pest on Myrmecodia beccari

Anita

Hi everybody,

I purchased Myrmecodia beccari a few weeks ago and it came with something weird on the undersides of her leaves. I don't know whether it's a disease of some sort or pest. It is not critical yet but I think more and more leaves are getting it. I cut those leaves off just in case.  I would appreciate it if you could give me any kind of information.

ant plant.jpg

Hi Anita,  welcome to the forum.  Why don't you gather a little more information on this.  Perhaps use a single-edge razor blade to cut the raised area in several different directions and see if they are solid or if there are perhaps insect larvae inside.  Are new ones forming constantly or did the plant come with a certain number and they are not increasing?  You may want to do a precautionary spray for bugs, something like safer's insecticidal soap - especially lf more leaves are getting the deformation since you got the plant.  If it is not showing up on new, previous uninfected leaves you may be able to end the whole problem by just cutting off the infected/infested leaves.

On 7/28/2020 at 2:56 PM, Anita said:

Hi everybody,

I purchased Myrmecodia beccari a few weeks ago and it came with something weird on the undersides of her leaves. I don't know whether it's a disease of some sort or pest. It is not critical yet but I think more and more leaves are getting it. I cut those leaves off just in case.  I would appreciate it if you could give me any kind of information.

ant plant.jpg

Could be Thripses?
Anyways, I am new to ant plants, bought same plant recently, it does have similar brown spots under the leaves, can't see any insects there though.