Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Racinaea - are they Ant Plants?

From the Tepuis in Venezuela 3 species of the Genus Racinaea hae been recorded. These species were considered as members of the genus Tillandsia until 1993 (Spencer et al.)

Honestly, I do not know if they are Ant Plants and at the time I visited Venezuela a few times 10-20 years ago, frankly speaking, I was not very deep into Ant Plants, so I did not check (...).

Shame on me...!

Does anybody know more about these and potential Ant relations???

To me they look very suspicious!

I have many pictures showing them as I found them very nice.

Here is one example:

post-1-0-77811000-1393841424_thumb.jpg

As far as I am aware, and I have done lots of searching, there is nothing in the literature that suggests an association with ants. However, their external morphology (form) certainly indicates a possibility; therefor some field work may be needed. 

I grow about 4 or 5 species and have not heard that any of them have ant relationships.  They are fantastic plants though, very unique foliage (most of them anyways).

The photo you posted is of one that is likely dead (notice the mold).  Here's a shot of one of mine, labeled as Racinaea miniata however, I am skeptical that the name is correct...

post-27-0-59090700-1393891095_thumb.jpg

I grow about 4 or 5 species and have not heard that any of them have ant relationships.  They are fantastic plants though, very unique foliage (most of them anyways).

The photo you posted is of one that is likely dead (notice the mold).  Here's a shot of one of mine, labeled as Racinaea miniata however, I am skeptical that the name is correct...

Hi DischidiaGuy,

this plant is not dead. Actually most of them look like that. A papery cover of dead leaves covers the living plant - I wonder how they do efficient photosynthesis...

The hair are not mold, but lichens that cover "everything" on the tepuis and the bright spots are dew.

I had wondered what for they create these hollow structures - very similar to Brocchinia acuminata. Therefore my idea that they might be Ant Plants.

All the best

Andreas

Hi DischidiaGuy,

this plant is not dead. Actually most of them look like that. A papery cover of dead leaves covers the living plant - I wonder how they do efficient photosynthesis...

The hair are not mold, but lichens that cover "everything" on the tepuis and the bright spots are dew.

I had wondered what for they create these hollow structures - very similar to Brocchinia acuminata. Therefore my idea that they might be Ant Plants.

All the best

Andreas

Do you have any other photos of the same species? I'm a little shocked that this plant has any life left. I've never seen any Racinaea look like that before that was alive. Did you take any apart by chance?

Do you have any other photos of the same species? I'm a little shocked that this plant has any life left. I've never seen any Racinaea look like that before that was alive. Did you take any apart by chance?

I have many photographs but if they are not Ant Plants I do not wish to spam the forum with many off topic pics.

However, one more to illustrate the cover of dead leaves is here:

post-1-0-42357900-1394133394_thumb.jpg

That's a perfect photo. I can see now what you were talking about.

Did you notice any ants or take apart any of them?

Unfortunately I did not check. Shame on me...!

The period I was traveling Venezuela is back 10-20 years. At that time I was focused too much on Heliamphora, I am afraid.

All the best

Andreas

Archived