Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Myrmephytum sp1. Triton Bay, Probably new to science.

Derrick

magnifique , where is triton bay in west papua ?

when you speak  west papoua it is not the irian jaha?

for me  , may be 2 taxons  the first and the others 2 .

the stem and the leaves seem not the same , it seem to me also one with a white flower these others with a blue flower?

jeff

magnifique , where is triton bay in west papua ?

when you speak  west papoua it is not the irian jaha?

for me  , may be 2 taxons  the first and the others 2 .

the stem and the leaves seem not the same , it seem to me also one with a white flower these others with a blue flower?

jeff

Hi Jeff,

Triton Bay is on the south coast of the Bird Head Peninsula in West Papua (Irian Jaya).

All the best

Andreas

near SORONG then , OK

may be  speak  to

irian jaha  for the indonesian   , papua new guinea  for the independant country .

because the west papoua  is not the same.

jeff

"Irian Jaya" is the old name.

Indonesia now officially uses the term "West Papua" for their part of the island.

So, now there is PNG and West Papua.

Impressive!

The flowers rallies it undoubtfully to the genus Myrmephytum, but it doesn't look like toe anything know in the J&H revision!

Or maybe one of the two elusive "Myrmephytum species" from PNG quoted on page 51? But a "species" of Myrmephytum without flowers nor tuber... The "species 1", collected by Kanehira & Hatusima (Dalma, Nabire) and informally named Myrmedoma longissima have long and narrow leaves, 4*44cm...

So mysterious plants...

Impressive!

The flowers rallies it undoubtfully to the genus Myrmephytum, but it doesn't look like toe anything know in the J&H revision!

Or maybe one of the two elusive "Myrmephytum species" from PNG quoted on page 51? But a "species" of Myrmephytum without flowers nor tuber... The "species 1", collected by Kanehira & Hatusima (Dalma, Nabire) and informally named Myrmedoma longissima have long and narrow leaves, 4*44cm...

So mysterious plants...

Hi Aurelien,

West Papua and PNG are not really well explored.

I'd bet that there are many undescribed really good species out there, waiting for discovery.

All the best

Andreas

Impressive!

So mysterious plants...

When seeing these images for the first time, I too thought of a connection to the Nabire collection but I then realised that this Myrmephytum (see images) has a somewhat Myrmecodia-like thickened stem that we see in lone Myrmephytum arfakianum (http://myrmecodia.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/151-myrmephytum-arfakianum/) which was previously placed in Myrmedoma because of such a thick stem.  All other myrmephytums on record have rather hydnophytum-like stems. Hence I discarded this idea because M. arfakianum was the only species known to me that had myrmedoma-like stems and the notes on page 51 merely say "stem unbranched."  Yet it now seems probable that calling the Nabire collection "Myrmedoma longissima" indicates it also has thick stems.   I must have read the name Myrmedoma longissima on page 51 but failed to connect the facts. Tut tut, more rewriting for me.

Triton Bay is actually on the south side of Bomberai Peninsula, West Papua, the one below the Birds-head Peninsula.

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Observing_the_Earth/Bird_s_Head_and_Bomberai_Peninsulas_of_Indonesian_Papua

Map here.

http://www.papua-insects.nl/about%20Papua/Wandammen/Wandammen%20Peninsula.htm

Ok, thanks.

In fact, yes, that's a little bit far from the Nabire location where 'Myrmephytum sp. 1' was collected.

And I agree with you Andreas, this genus as well as many Papuan plants lacks a lot of field informations...

Trying to decide if these images represent more than one species seems futile without access to the plants; however, my guess and it is no more than an idle guess, is that there is only one species represented above.  However, I now think it probable that it is "Myrmedoma longissima" which presumably will become Myrmephytum longissima when validly published.

it is may be futile but here it seem to me  see 2 species , pictures are sometimes a good approach in a first time.

we do not see  some inflorescence contignous apical part of stem  on the first picture .

on these others 2 yes , it seem to me that the spines on the tuber

are not arranged in the same way, the leaves on the first picture seems longer and more slender.

Myrmedoma longissima is not a  Myrmecodia longissima :D we find also this one in IRIAN JAHA and PNG 

BECCARI  speak  to the genera Myrmedoma  like this: caulis et folia myrmecodiae , flores fasciculati, bracteis magnis coriaceo-herbaceis involuti , corolla 6 loba .

on the HUXLEY  &JEBB description  the tuber and the flower are not known  ,then why a myrmephytum ?

have you some documents to this NABIRE COLLECTION ?

JEFF

• 10 months later...

Bonjour

although the 2 nd pictures is quite far taken no opportunity to see the tuber and the stem

some differences between the two swings me in the eyes:

- Leaves : 2 or 3 times larger than the tuber, more thin (almost linear lanceolate) with a short petiole.
- tuber
: enough ridged  with spines

for me may be a myrmecodia  but a picture of the stem and the flower will comfort me more

for the others 2 ,surely myrmephytum , the same ?  the leaves seem to me differente  very ondulate for one

then  surely 2 new  taxons

jeff

Archived