Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Hydnophytum spec. - Viti Levu, Fiji - highland

Hi,

This habitat look to be very humid, as we can see with the fog and the quantity of epiphytes around the tubers.

How high where it?

The best,

Aurélien

Hi Aurelien,

At least while we were there it was hard to do a few decent photographs because we permanently were in clouds and slight rain.

I believe that the roots on many tubers "harvest" the drops from the fog.

It was extremely humid!

All the best

Andreas

Hi Aurelien,

At least while we were there it was hard to do a few decent photographs because we permanently were in clouds and slight rain.

I believe that the roots on many tubers "harvest" the drops from the fog.

It was extremely humid!

All the best

Andreas

Ok, that's also why some mosses or Hymenophyllum could developp in the tubers... Epiphyts on epiphyts!

Andreas:

My observations of my plants in a perhumid/cloud forest greenhouse versus those grown in an adjacent standard well-vented stovehouse here have convinced me that the proliferation of adventitious roots in plants being grown in a mist-laden environment is very much evidence that these roots capture ambient moisture very effectively. I have seen several young hydnos literally  "bristle" with newly-emergent, quite long roots on their caudexes since being moved to the most humid parts of the greenhouse over the past month.

Aurelien, yes I'm definitely starting to see epiphylls (in the form of mosses, filmy ferns and other fern sporelings) growing on some of my epiphytic hydnophytines here B)

Cheers all,

J

• 4 years later...