Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

The first three images are what is tentatively identified as Hydnophytum philippinense Becc.. Please note the similarity of this plant to that in the images of wild plants posted here by Satoshi Okada. The fourth image shows what appears to be a younger version of the species shown under Andreas' post that started the thread for H. philippinense (?). Thanks to Frank O for this plant! Fruits on the putative H. philippinense are yellow through to final ripening when they suddenly change to pale orange. I have plants in Guatemala from same seed batch that are both more and less globular than this particular example, so broadly match the plant depicted on Pinoy Plants' website.

post-61-0-44243800-1411405425_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-58512000-1411405463_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-13060300-1411405537_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-70446900-1411405643_thumb.jpg

Andreas:

The first three are the same plant. Leaves are indeed ~orbicular in youth then become increasingly ovate with time. AS you can see, this is not the case with the other taxon.

The fourth photo is a seedling from the plant in the adult photo posted recently by Frank on the FB site under the "Siquijor Island" thread. I believe it resembles the photo that you posted here as Hydnophytum philippinense (?), but is definitely unlike the large sp. in the first three images.

The original determination that the plant being sold at PP was Hydnophytum philippinense was, I believe, made without examining its floral morphology. Since the description and illustrations have been made available here, I need to examine the flowers more carefully; something I have not done yet. There may very well have been more than two hydnophytums collected on Siquijor when they were first made available.

Cheers,

J

• 4 weeks later...

Archived