Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes
Sign in to follow this  
Frank

Jay takes his ant-plants seriously!!!

Ready for some fabulous reading accompanied by great photos and exquisite artwork!

There is a marvelous new website and blog online hosted by one of our most knowledgeable and valuable members, Jay Vannini.

It is his "Exotica Esoterica" and it is at:   https://www.exoticaesoterica.com/

After looking around there for only a few minutes you will see that Jay is an expert at more than just our ant-plants.

His initial article about ant-plants - "The Big Five: Commonly-cultivated Caudexed Ant Plants" is fantastic.  And he has promised more such ant-plant information will follow!  Go read this article right now.  It has the history of our hobby woven in with specific details about many of the plants we grow as well as cultural notes about how he grows them.  And we all know from his posts here that he grows them very, very well!

https://www.exoticaesoterica.com/caudexed-ant-plants/2018/7/26/the-big-five

Thanks very much Jay

First a very sincere thank you to Jay for this magnificent work. One thing I can add about the Mossman Gorge population of Myrmecodia platytyrea subsp antoinii is that its location in the wet tropics is very different from its usual locations in the monsoon rain-forests that are extremely widespread to the far north. The wet tropics do not have a very distinct 'winter' dry season while the harshest monsoon rain-forests and savannahs have 'winter' dry seasons that can last for about seven months. I have only been able to observe and photograph Mossman specimens perched high in heavily epiphyte and liane burdened trees, so I have not been able to closely compare their forms.  However, suffice to say they differed from all northern populations, and I have seen these over enormous regions of Cape York Peninsula, Australia. 

Edited by Derrick
Bad eyesight