Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes
Sign in to follow this  
Derrick

Improve your cultivation of the Hydnophytinae

I suspect that one of the very best ways for cultivators to improve their skills is to see plants in their natural habitats. Certainly many of the photographs shown in ant-plant forums show specimens vastly different from how they are in nature.  Here is an opportunity to see and photograph a variety of anthorrizas, dischidias, hoyas, hydnophytums and myrmecodias in their natural habitats.  If only two ant-plant aficionados join, then the tour's main focus will be on such plants.  However, there is also much more interesting wildlife to be seen in this truly fascinating place.  New Guinea is usually an extremely expensive place to visit so this tour truly is an absolute bargain.  For example, when I visited Rondon Lodge above Mt Hagen town, it cost US$1.000 per night.

http://gondconnect.com.au/Index.asp?pagename=UPCOMING+TOURS&site=1&siteid=8283

MILNE BAY WILDLIFE TOUR 2018. This proposed trip will run between the 16th and 30th November 2018 and offers the unique opportunity to encounter a wonderful array of wildlife from this far eastern province of Papua New Guinea. Appart from mainland sites, we will also visit the D'Entrecasteaux Islands. This all inclusive tour cost ex Cairns, North Queensland is AU$5560 p/p twin share. Based on three participants. For further details and booking form, please go to our Papua New Guinea page.

I have just received this email from ecoguide Enoch Bulunamur resident of Breakthrough Mission, Siasiada Village, Milne Bay Province, Papua New Guinea. The mission has guest bungalows that earn income to support the communities primary school.
Quote "The Scientific plant journal that you sent me finally arrived here in good condition. Though it took almost ages to reach me, I am so pleased to be in possession of one of your great works. Thank you so much for this gift, and the promotion the ant plant and people of this region have gained through your literature. Just one news, I managed to locate both Anthorrhiza bracteosa and A. areolata on the South coast from where I live. They just look slightly different from the ones on Normanby Island (etc). The funny thing is, instead of ants, huge possums also tunnel through and make their homes inside. Their tubers are so huge." Unquote.
It is quite possible that such previously unrecorded mainland anthorrhizas may be genetically distinct from those on the islands off the NORTH coast of the Papuan (Birds tail) Peninsula.