Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Myrmecodia spec. from the M. alata / M. erinacea complex - Lowlands - North coast of Irian Jaya

Andreas Wistuba

There seems to be a huge degree of variability within Myrmecodia alata and Myrmecodia erinacea or quite a number of species that seem to be closely related to M. alata and M. erinacea.

All of them share the blueish flowers. Most of the species I consider related have a whitish petiole that might be quite long, as in this example to nearly absent at other locations.

All of them share a relatively simple barrel shaped caudex and present lots of spines around the alveoli. According to Huxley & Jebb, clypleoli are absent both in M. alata as well as in M. erinacea. However this specimen that quite clearly belongs to the same complex has distinct well visible clypleoli.

Actually, I found specimens I consider as members of this complex at most lowland locations in Irian Jaya I was searching for ant plants more intensly.

This species or variety is notable for the very long white petioles. The plant was found at 500 m asl, near Nabire, 40 km inland from the north coast of Irian Jaya:

post-1-0-18560100-1442640539_thumb.jpg

Really? Amazing! First I was wondering that the asparagus-like shoots were a Psilotum or anything else.

This Myrmecodia si really beautiful! It's pretty rare to see so many green leaves at the same time in a Myrmecodia stem. So I suspect that they are all from the shoot of the year? This will mean that plants in nature grow particularly fast...

Aurélien

Bonjour

have you a macro picture from these alveoli and clypeoli ?

from the petiole  H&J  note  0.6 to 3.2 cm  these petiole are more long ?

strange as H & J, these two species seem to have been found has a maximum altitude of 170m

and the stipule?

may be a new specie

jeff