Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

List of known myrmecodomic species.

Really nice!

Albeit this document is not complete, It's a really interesting synthesis of many other works.

The other helpfull thing, is the list of references. We can have access to (for me) unknown reference, such many works about myrmecophilous Acacia.

Interestingly, we see also "Jebb & Huxley (in press)" for the reference about Hydnophytum... And on page 19, the first name is "Hydnophytum perangustum Jebb & C.R.Huxley". Now, we know were the elusive name "perangustum" come from : the work "in press" from J&H...  but still nomen nudum.

As well as many "new" names for me, with the affixed author name Jebb & C.R.Huxley. I hope it will not stay "in press" too long time...

Yes, I posted this with you in mind Aurelien.  Some of the unpublished Hydnophytum names I had already found in herbarium records but I can now add another seven (to my possible future editions) and I have added detail to H. perangustum. I have also added a few more genus names and see my post regarding Microgramma megalophylla. This latter species is unusual because  it has domatia UNDER its rhizomes not in HOLLOW potato-like tubers, thus it reminds one of Lecanopteris sinuosa.  I note also that Jebb is listed as lead author.  I see also that Dischidia saccata is mentioned.

Edit. There are some interesting leads that I will explore with new information added to the next edition. African members may wish to do some work on the species from their part of our worldSome may prove to be epiphytic if only optional. 

Yes, I also see some herbarium sheets on Jstor and other when I searched for some unknown Hydnophytum names...

Still unpublished, but already named on the sheet, with again the same author name : Jebb & C.R.Huxley!

I see your post about M. megalophylla. But I don't see it in the "List of known myrmecodomic species."

The best,

Aurélien

" I see your post about M. megalophylla. But I don't see it in the "List of known myrmecodomic species." Unquote

Aurelien, there are quite a few probable errors in the list, this being an example; an old synonym Polypodium schomburgkianum Kunze was used. Incidentally, regarding epiphytic myrmecodomic species, my book is more complete.

Aurelien, there are quite a few probable errors in the list, this being an example; an old synonym Polypodium schomburgkianum Kunze was used. Incidentally, regarding epiphytic myrmecodomic species, my book is more complete.

Ok, I didn't know this synonym. Only the old name Polypodium megalophyllum. That's why I don't found it ;)

Bonjour

on this list  all these plants are  myrmecodomic  ( house)    no allusion to the myrmecotrophic  (food) and the myrmecoxenic ( house and food )

for the hydnophytum  I see just 40 species  for me a lot of others exist  , for the perangustum some doubt on the name relationship :rolleyes:

jeff

Edited. Jeff wrote "for the hydnophytum  I see just 40 species for me a lot of others exist"

A number of the yet to be published Hydnophytum names (and others) do not appear in this list. It is probably a fairly safe bet that it is because they harbour animals other than ants or ant associations have yet to be observed in the field. Incidentally, Jebb only mentions 55 species in his post about his 'forthcoming' revision. http://www.botanicgardens.ie/herb/research/hydnophytum.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Archived