Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Myrmecodia erinacea - or related species - Triton Bay, Irian Jaya

Edit Andreas Wistuba - 10th of May 2014

Please compare this plant with the plants found near Timika.

Leaves and petioles seem to match perfectly, yet spines are completely different!

In any case, what I got really looks much different. Leaves and petioles of mine come much closer to the FB-picture.

I am tempted to opening yet another thread for my plant...  

Here are some pictures - please do not look too closely at the mess in the background... ;)

post-1-0-23619800-1399653955_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-08408300-1399653968_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-53305100-1399653973_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-74015300-1399653937_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-36522300-1399653943_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-96588000-1399653948_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-33202900-1399653961_thumb.jpg

Just a thought:

Could it be possible, that we are looking at a hybrid swarm??? 

Andreas:

No, not "Goose". I think this is one of the other sp. collected at same site. "Yes" I think it's the FB plant on mangroves. I will PM you pics of what I think is mother on Monday. Based on that image, it should self vigorously. IMO, perfectly good sp., just not what Frank and I grow. Fantastic bit of luck. At end of day, if both sides get seed, better still!!

I have just re-examined Frank's images and am suddenly struck that it is indeed a different plant from mine. This would clearly explain the differences in type of floral heterostyly we have observed in our respective plants as we attempt to polllinate them.

J

Andreas:

No, not "Goose". I think this is one of the other sp. collected at same site. "Yes" I think it's the FB plant on mangroves. I will PM you pics of what I think is mother on Monday. Based on that image, it should self vigorously. IMO, perfectly good sp., just not what Frank and I grow. Fantastic bit of luck. At end of day, if both sides get seed, better still!!

I have just re-examined Frank's images and am suddenly struck that it is indeed a different plant from mine. This would clearly explain the differences in type of floral heterostyly we have observed in our respective plants as we attempt to polllinate them.

J

:)

That is exactly how I was hoping, the forum would work!

Several eyes simply see more than just two and some kind of "crowd-brain" has ideas a single one does not have.

I was completely blind when it comes to Myrmecodia erinacea and M. alata, yet the solution was very easy.

Just a bit of pooling ideas between Frank and me...

All the best

Andreas

• 2 weeks later...

harm , no flower open :rolleyes:  , what colour ?

no dissection  , to see the stigma ,the anther, the ring of hair?

strange these raised areas prominent , surrounded by  horseshoe-shaped arcs of adjacent entrance holes ,on the tuber , no

very very little spine on it

leaves with a little petiole white-green , oblanceolate

for me no M.erinacea or alata

jeff

• 8 years later...

I bought a plant of this species from Andreas in May of 2019.  Looking at his photos above it was obvious this plant would grow well hanging over the lip of a pot.  Since I grow under lights in a basement hanging baskets are not one of my favorite ways to grow so I planted it instead in a 6 inch shallow vanda tray and slid that under one of my 4 foot T5 fluorescent fixtures.  You can see here that it grew well in that situation so it came time to upsize the pot.

image.jpeg

As it grew over the edges of that Vanda tray I moved it into a much larger tray, 22 inches by 11 inches :

image.jpeg

If you look closely at the the branches to the left and right side of the tray you can tell that each grew into another 6 inch vanda tray.  So when it comes a time to propagate and transplant I can snip the narrow neck where it enters into the two side trays and lift those trays out with minimal root disturbance.

The last few months this plant has produced some flowers.  No sign of fruits yet. So I pulled out my cameras and microscope and took some photos.  Not the best photos I have ever taken but perhaps good enough to gets us some confirmation of it being in the alata complex or even to narrow it down to a particular species.

The flower buds are not very large and they open just barely and not for a very long time.  My ruler in the photos is numbered in centimeters so the distance between each of the short unnumbered lines is a millimeter.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Microscopic photo of a cut open flower bud. The almost triangle shaped piece of tissue pinned just above the bottom of the stamens got torn off the bottom of the floral tube, so its 3 mm added to the 9 mm of the intact portion of the flower means a flower length of at least 12 mm.  The stamens clearly number 4.

image.jpeg

This photo confirms the long style and shows that the stigma has at least 2 parts.  Also here is the first confirmation of upright pointing hairs lining the bottom of the floral tube.

image.jpeg

This last photo confirms that the 4 stamens are positioned near the bottom of the floral tube and the multitude of upright pointing hairs in the throat of the tube.

image.jpeg