Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Myrmecodia species from Central Sulawesi (Highland, ca. 1500 meters) - potentially new?

Andreas Wistuba

you have find this specie to what altitude ? 450-1000m

may be a tuberosa "menadensis" there are present in the central sulawesi

jeff

Hi Jeff,

honestly, I am not a believer in the whole Myrmecodia tuberosa "lumping concept". IMHO, a whole load of good species is dumped into M. tuberosa without much of reason. Huxley and Jebb write, that there is a "variable continuum" from "Indochina and the Philippines to Australia and the Solomon Islands".

I have seen quite a number of specimens from Indonesia and the Philippines and my impression never was that of a continuum. In fact, there are habitats where more than one perfectly discrete species occurs.

Reading the concept of M. tuberosa in Huxley and Jebb I mainly see a long listing of characteristics that are either present or absent ;) 

Maybe, I am missing the point, so if anybody here has a better understanding of the concept behind, I am open to discussions or might even get convinced.

However, until then for me it would still be Myrmecodia menadensis, which was validly published and thus is still a valid epithet that can be used.

All the best

Andreas

Bonjour

yes, but we must take into account every issue and be objective.

I agree with you on the fact that many of these tuberosa with their different morphological characters can claim to have the names of species, just well put everything flat and well untap the discreminants.

that is why, the macro photos are crucial to me (
tuber,stem,leaves)

may be also the inflorescence  with the place of the anters , stigma  and may be the  ring of hair inside  , problem there are very little  and difficult to cut without damage

jeff

Archived