Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Lecanopteris sp. South Sulawesi

Hi Akihiro,

Welcome to the forum.  That is a great habitat shot of Lecanopteris balgooyi.  The thick spines replacing some of the fronds is something I like very much but the plants would not do that for me back when I grew these.  I was not very successful growing this species - the rhizome growing tip would always grow up and off of the growing media for me.

I am not clear why you do not think this is L. balgooyi?

Here is the description of balgooyi from Flora Malesiana, Series 2, Vol. 3, 1998, page 64.

Scan.jpg

It says the sori are "in a single row on each side of the rachis or costae, to 7 on each pinna" .  That is what I see on your habitat photo of the sporophyll.

I will admit to some confusion about this when I first looked at google images of L. balgooyi sporophylls.  Those photos (probably of plants in cultivation) show sporophylls that have complete margins or with only a little pinnatification of the frond.   The Flora Malesiana description allows for this saying the fronds are "entire to pinnatifid".  So I think better growing conditions in habitat are responsible for the different look of the sporophyll in your photo compared to google cultivated plant photos of balgooyi sporophylls..

• 7 months later...
On 2017/5/13 at 9:22 PM, Frank said:

Hi Akihiro,

Welcome to the forum.  That is a great habitat shot of Lecanopteris balgooyi.  The thick spines replacing some of the fronds is something I like very much but the plants would not do that for me back when I grew these.  I was not very successful growing this species - the rhizome growing tip would always grow up and off of the growing media for me.

I am not clear why you do not think this is L. balgooyi?

Here is the description of balgooyi from Flora Malesiana, Series 2, Vol. 3, 1998, page 64.

Scan.jpg

It says the sori are "in a single row on each side of the rachis or costae, to 7 on each pinna" .  That is what I see on your habitat photo of the sporophyll.

I will admit to some confusion about this when I first looked at google images of L. balgooyi sporophylls.  Those photos (probably of plants in cultivation) show sporophylls that have complete margins or with only a little pinnatification of the frond.   The Flora Malesiana description allows for this saying the fronds are "entire to pinnatifid".  So I think better growing conditions in habitat are responsible for the different look of the sporophyll in your photo compared to google cultivated plant photos of balgooyi sporophylls..

Hi Frank,

I'm sorry for the delay in replying.

Thank you for the information.

Because of my poor English, I can not fully understand the meaning of research paper..

Your explanation really helped.

Akihiro ito

• 1 year later...

Hi Akihiro,  These photos are just great!  Nice camera work.

I have grown most of the species of Lecanopteris in cultivation here in the US at some point over the last 15 years and I have never had an ant move into any of them - in my basement under lights or in a large greenhouse that also housed Rubiaceous ant-plants that have ants in them (the genus Cardiocondyle)

Looking over your photos I see no ants.  Have you observed ants in or on the Lecanopteris you have been photographing?

Thanks

6 hours ago, Frank said:

Hi Akihiro,  These photos are just great!  Nice camera work.

I have grown most of the species of Lecanopteris in cultivation here in the US at some point over the last 15 years and I have never had an ant move into any of them - in my basement under lights or in a large greenhouse that also housed Rubiaceous ant-plants that have ants in them (the genus Cardiocondyle)

Looking over your photos I see no ants.  Have you observed ants in or on the Lecanopteris you have been photographing?

Thanks

Hi Frank,

Thank you.
I have observed Lec. sinuosa, lomarioides, cerebica, balgooyi, darnaedii, spinosa in the field so far.

The one with the fewest ants was darnaedii.

This is Lec. spinosa but there is a video. I strongly recommend you see it.