Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Mounting of ant plants

inimicus

Hi folks

i have seen most members mounting their ant plants mostly on bark, a few on wooden plank or fern bark. What i  have not seen are people mounting them on driftwood. And so that led me to wonder how the roots of ant plants work. Is it possible to mount them on driftwood? Will their roots take onto the driftwood or they will only penetrate bark as it's more porous? But if so then what about those that i have seen mounted on planks? I have an ant plant that i bought which was already grown onto a piece of wooden plank but i can't really tell how the root work on it. Can the good folks here enlighten me on how their roots work and be able to offer me advice on how you mount them on cork bark? Much apppreciated.

post-1239-0-33268400-1453823288_thumb.jpeg

post-1239-0-19397300-1453823307_thumb.jpeg

I mount many plants and it works fairly well. 

However a problem is visible in your picture:

When fertilized very often and the caudex starts to root all over. While the plants grow nicely, this looks a little strange IMHO. Since the fertilizer drops sit at the end of the roots, these grow into "beards"...

I've yet to find a way to avoid this.

All the best

Andreas

I wonder if a small transparent container can be mounted above plants so that after suitably periodic fillings, nutrient containing water can slowly percolate down to the region between tuber bases and their mounts and/or basal root systems.  The outlet from the water reservoir might merely be one or more small holes that permits a suitably slow flow down the mount surface, or a wick or even a combinations of both.  Evening watering may help.

From seeing hydnophytes respond positively and very rapidly to brief evening/night showers on Cape York Peninsula in the long dry season, it seems that hydnophyte roots are very efficient in regards to absorbing rainfall. 

Certainly root growth in the above plants is not natural. 

Thanks everyone for the information 

I got this plant 2-3 months ago from a collector here in Singapore.

It already has all these "beard" roots when i bought it.

If i am not wrong he fertilise them once a week, But i am not sure. I will check with him again.

I recently bought another plant from another collector here and it has even more bearded roots!

I will take a photo for you folks soon.

Archived