Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

My small ant-plant collection

Shimi

Hi Shimi, 

Welcome to the forum.  You have some nice plants to start your collection of ant-plants.  The names look good for the other two plants but for the Lecanopteris there is no species called L. beccarii or the beccaria you have it written as.  There is no question but that it is a Lecanopteris, just the species is wrong.  I cannot hazard a guess at which Lecanopteris it is at this time, more leaves would be needed or perhaps someone with more experience with Lecanopteris than me can give an opinion at this time.  Good luck with your new plants and please continue to share your new hobby with us.

Hi Shimi;

Welcome here!

Your plants are indeed good choice to begin in ant plants.

As Frank, I'm surprised by the name of your Lecanopteris: I've never heard about such species, and I don't find it in the diverse synonyms of the actually accepted species.

It's a little bit too young, but it seems to be a L. celebica/carnosa/pumila or something else...

All the best,

Aurélien

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

@Philman - thanks, I do plan on growing the collection in the near future :)

@ Frank and Aurelien - thanks for the correction, and you're absolutely right - I checked and I made a mistake when copying from the label. The correct name is Lecanopteris celebica - I also edited in my first post above.

Shimi

Hi Shimi,

@ Frank and Aurelien - thanks for the correction, and you're absolutely right - I checked and I made a mistake when copying from the label. The correct name is Lecanopteris celebica - I also edited in my first post above.

Perfect! That's one of the easiest and quick grower of the genus. You will have fun with it ;)

The best,

Aurélien

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I thought ~4.5 months later, an update was in order.

The plants grow well, there's even a small plantlet growing out of the hydnophytum caudex.

I'm attaching some pictures below.

Have a great weekend!

Shimi

IMG_6993_small_zpsxpunwswp.jpg

IMG_6994_small_zpsh3ubfuul.jpg

43336f8a-cc6d-4676-9625-ecd4aa10b35e_zps

IMG_6991_small_zpsl1rcjata.jpg

IMG_6992_small_zpstasuenwo.jpg

IMG_6990_small_zpsy85wf2cr.jpg

IMG_6996_small_zpshjmnmubp.jpg

IMG_6995_small_zps3p3ulgrk.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Just noticed that the leaves on my Hydnophytum formicarum are starting to look bad - see picture below.

I'm trying not to over-water the plant (the medium looks pretty moist), the setting is the same for the past ~7 months as I haven't changed anything and the plant didn't move. One thing that is clear when comparing these updated pictures to the plant when I purchased it (December 2015) is that the caudex is much larger.

Any ideas? Am I doing anything wrong?

Shimi

IMG_20160702_083442_zpsg1j52fd3.jpg

IMG_20160702_083426_zpsm3atqpby.jpg
IMG_20160702_083420_zpsp64iguja.jpg

The caudex certainly has grown and looks great. What condition are you growing your plants in? Are you growing under lights? Do you mist your plants? It looks burned almost. I have seen Carnivorous plants look like that if they are grown under lights and they get too hot or if they're misted and the water magnifies the light and burns the leaves.

Hey Todd,

It is grown in a terrarium with my nepenthes, none of which is showing these symptoms.

I guess that perhaps as it grew taller, it came closer to the lights and it was too much for it. Perhaps it has something to do with being too large for the pot?

Anyway, as a precaution, I now moved it to a different terrarium where it is further away from the lights and not as hot, I'm hoping it will recover fast.

Thanks,

Shimi

That's certainly what it looks like to me.

I have found Myrmecodia and Hydnophytum to be quite resilient and I would imagine once it settles into it's new location it will spring right back into action. Share an update in a month or two and I bet it will look a ton better once again.

Thanks Todd for the quick reply.

I think the problem was indeed heat - I didn't notice at first but one of the fluorescent lamps  above the glass ceiling of the terrarium rested on the glass (I used something to hold it several cm above but it broke), hence increasing the temperature inside. Interestingly, the nepenthes didn't seem to matter much.

The hydnophytum, having been moved to a different terrarium, hasn't shown any indications of decline, and I hope it will come back.

However, my Lecanopteris now looks really bad (see pictures below) - the leaves are somewhat OK, but the rhyzome turned black and it's a little mushy. Is there any way to salvage it? Should I take it out and inspect the roots and cut away parts that are too soft?
I'll appreciate any advice.

IMG_20160708_094022_zpscx3xl48s.jpg

IMG_20160708_094030_zpsjbmkx27p.jpg

IMG_20160708_094034_zpsdxtt8eo9.jpg

Archived