Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Iridomyrmex or Philidris

Derrick

I see Iridomyrmex is still being used incorrectly in ant-plant websites. For example the Australian/New Guinea species is now Philidris cordata and has been for over two decades. However, it has been suggested that New Guinea specimens differ from Australian ones, so there may be a further name change.  The Fijian endemic Iridomyrmex nagasau is now Philidris nagasau
Shattuck 1992, p18.  REVIEW OF THE DOLICHODERINE ANT GENUS IRIDOMYRMEX MAYR WITH DESCRIPTIONS OF THREE NEW GENERA (HYMENOPTERA:
FORMICIDAE)  http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1440-6055.1992.tb00453.x/pdf

• 5 months later...

Derrick

I have been searching the net for information on the exact distribution of Philidris cordata in Australia without much success. A couple of years ago I found a nest of very very small redish brown ants in the air filter of my irrigation pump here on the Gold Coast hinterland that looked like the ants I have seen on M.beccarii around Cardwell.  I emptied the contents of this nest onto a large specimen of M.platytyrea sub.antoinii - Mossman form and watched over the next 20 minutes or so as the ants carried the eggs into the plant and made themselves at home, they are still living there to this day.

Robert

Archived