Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Dischidia litoralis Schltr.

Unfortunately, this is not Dischidia litoralis.  This is an unnamed species that goes by the trade name, Dischidia sp. Geri.  It is closely allied to D. bengalensis.  Dr. Livshultz says that it perhaps should be given its own name but at the time (few years ago) there hadn't been any proper collections of this plant from a wild habitat.

Interesting that was found in Dauan Island.  Perhaps it eventually could be given a name.

attachicon.gifDSCF3257.JPG

This is a specimen of Dischidia litoralis from Daun Island in the Torres Strait.

attachicon.gifDSCF3262.JPG

Flowering detail for this species.

I thought to add photos of this species, as they say "a picture is worth a thousand words" and as good as descriptions are its always good to see what  the specimen looks like. This is an excellent species for cultivation, fast growing,easy to propagate and quiet tolerant to fairly low winter minimum temperatures despite its tropical lowland island origin. The specimen above is growing in a 150mm squat pot in a medium to small orchid bark mix ( bark, coco chunks, charcoal and  perlite), a large two branched cutting was pegged down along the surface of the mix 12 months  ago during the start of our wet season and fed with foliar fertiliser and this is the result. Many thanks to fellow member Rita Kupke who sent me all the cuttings which resulted in 3 hanging pots like the one shown, I have also propagated some for friends.

Hi DischidiaGuy

Thanks for your input, maybe part of this post should be put under a new heading of "Dischidia sp. Geri". I would just like to add that this species has been properly collected from a wild habitat, the first time by Bruce Grey (QRS) in 1989 on a survey expedition sponsored by the Australian Orchid Foundation to Dauan Island.  Austalian herbariums have three lodged samples in their collections from Australia, two from Dauan Is. and one from Moa Is. as well as others from NG.  I am fairly certain that any botanist doing research on this genus could have access to this material. In the meantime could you add any information (distribution etc.) and pictures of the true D.litoralis to this post for the benefit of the members?

I'll have to see if I can dig up some old photos.  My entire database was online when dischidia.com was up and running and the server literally caught on fire. I had several things backed up locally but not all of it so I'm not so sure I have anything but I will take a look at my home computer.

Archived