Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Hydnophytum sp. "Philippine Dwarf"

This plant is from a mixed batch of seeds that I received from Pinoy Plants in mid-2006. This plant is being grown in California, but I have several others in Guatemala. It seems to be rather slow growing when compared to other Hydnophytum spp. that I cultivate. It has a very interesting and distinctive form with large, slot-like entry holes concentrated on one end of a somewhat elongate caudex that is a common feature to all of these plants that I have. Algal/moss growth on the caudex is a byproduct of very high relative humidity in the cool tropical greenhouse that it's located in. While the plant flowers fairly well at this time of year it has so far refused to fruit reliably so may require manual pollination. As is evident in the first image, the canopy is extremely "bushy" when the plant is unstressed.

Ciao,

J

post-61-0-42206000-1411406421_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-85985700-1411406461_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-81642500-1411406582_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

No, Todd. Your plant depicted appears to be H formicarum "Pumpkin" (my denomination). This is just a very nice form of formicarum that originated from Merlin Sy.

The other plant is quite different and appears to be part of the moseleyanum-types. It has very large entrance holes evident in the caudex from youth. See pictures at the beginning of the thread. These appear to provide refuge to far larger animals than ants, presumably small arboreal lizards, frogs, roaches, etc. They do not fruit like formicarum. This plant also originated, like the H. "philippinense" also in cultivation here and in the EU, from Merlin.

J

No, Todd. Your plant depicted appears to be H formicarum "Pumpkin" (my denomination). This is just a very nice form of formicarum that originated from Merlin Sy.

Jay, you wrote the above quote.  Where is the photo by Todd that you are talking about?

Also, let me add some useful information about the H formicarum from Merlin Sy that Jay calls the "Pumpkin".  I got seeds of this same species from Merlin in October of 2006, and he provided this information with the seeds: "from a mountain range in Quezon Province, on the Island of Luzon in the Philippines"