Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Myrmecodia tuberosa "dahlii" New Britain Island.

Derrick

M. tuberosa “dahlii.”  Tubers horizontal to pendulous, irregularly conical or cylindrical, pale grey-brown and reaching 25 x 20 cm.  Spines sparse to numerous, mostly placed on ridges; entrance holes to 5 mm across, placed in arcs around pored internal honeycombed areas.  Stems one to several, pendent to slightly curving upwards, occasionally branched near the base and reaching 30x1.5 cm with indistinct clypeoli to 2x1 cm. Spines quite dense around circular alveoli; fruit red, seed 4-6.

Habitats:  Disturbed and undisturbed forests as well as plantation forests of Cocoa, Balsa or Coconut where they are mostly low perched at altitudes from sea level to 1000 m. (3281 ft.)  In native forests they are often high perched.  Range: New Britain Island; I found them to be very common on the Gazelle Peninsula often in the deep shade of Cocoa and Balsa tree plantations where photography was a little challenging.  This form also occurs on nearby New Ireland Island where in southern regions it grades into the large “salomonensis” Solomon Islands form.  It was frequently accompanied with a variety of Dischidia and orchid species.

The Gazelle Peninsula experiences a more pronounced dry season than does the central east side of Bougainville Island, the most northerly of the Solomon Islands, the area I visited.

Abbreviated from Huxley & Jebb 1993

Bonjour

for me the clypeoli is not indistinct  ( with spine on it)  alveoli is not circular  with  no dense spines around ; more close 'salomonensis '  no

it 's a shame  no  macro from the inflorescence  : to see the ring hair ,  the anthers and the stigma position in the corolla

jeff

• 10 months later...

No, the  "dahlii" form on the Gazelle Peninsula in its many manifestations has distinct differences to the "salomonensis" form in its varied manifestations. Also the clypeoli in general were rather indistinct. These few photographs only provide a tiny insight into this taxons variability. 

• 4 weeks later...

Robert photo.JPG

Three M.tuberosa'Dahlii' at various stages of development, caudex sizes are 100mm, 65mm and 55mm. Of the tree forms of tuberosa that I grow Cape York, Armata and Dahlii, this form for me is the fastest in germination and growth and is very clean growing.

NOTE:  This posting edited by Administrator, Frank, on December 12, 2017.  Edited to show the photo that Robert was trying to display.  The reason it would not load into the posting for you Robert is that it was in the format of a .zip file not a .jpg file.  Once unzipped into the .jpg form it uploaded easily.  Great photo of excellent plants

DSCF3105.JPG.zip

• 2 years later...

Superbly-grown and extremely vigorous group of plants, Robert.

To growers in the US and the EU, please note that there is no evidence of the leaf lesions/corky patches/spots in Robert's photos that are sometimes ubiquitous in our collections. The notion that this condition is naturally occurring must be dispelled by the community. Clearly, this nasty pest has not made it to Oz, and hopefully never will. Likewise, I have seen no evidence of it in my examination of images of a noteworthy collection of a friend in Singapore.PLEASE make an effort to only ship completely clean plants to new growers!!

J