Forum for Epiphytic Myrmecophytes

Microgramma or Solanopteris????

Maybe I am too much an ignorant... ;)

However, as long as no good DNA-data are available to allow a really good phylogeny for my taste many of the attempts to create groups within genera or families (sub-genera or sub-families) remain highly speculative. They imply lineages we often cannot prove without a good analysis on genetic level.

yes  ANDREAS   I am OK , but the phylogeny make not everything , it only gives outlines.

then we can apply the international code of nomenclature  ( ICBN) to MELBOURNE

the sub genus may well have to be raised in genus ? may be also

take into account the anteriority of names ?

or write   Microgramma (Solanopteris) brifons for example

jeff

• 1 month later...

Bonjour

merci, very good document

For my part, I remain on my hunger. I would have preferred a more complete study (well if it was possible) on the phylogeny of these two genera, species by species, in order to see their evolutions and their differences

elsewhere is that the phylogeny has been made ​​for the tree on the genus Microgramma and subgenus or simply for the genus?

may be counting chromosomes would have been a good thing , also ;)

amicalement

jeff

• 4 weeks later...

do you know if a DNA analysis was made  on the microgramma type and the solanopteris   to see

their relationship or their divergence.

Nothing specific.  Incidentally, although the following refers to Lecanopteris the Haufler et al., assumption may apply equally to Microgramma sub-genus Solanopteris. Hence patience is required in the hope that future science may provide better evidence than does comparing morphologies, which is proving to be suspect in many examples.

Lecanopteris, the Ant-fern, is an Old World group with hollow rhizomes that serve as ant-domatia. It is only distantly related to the New World Potato fern, Microgramma sub-genus Solanopteris. The large (a few cm.), hollowed out or stacked, flattened, and clumped rhizomes are the signature item. Other unique characters are hard to find, and Haufler et al.(2003) describes it as "systematically intractable". The case is made that "an ant/plant association may result in a relaxation of selective pressure on some morphological features. With less pressure to eliminate morphological variants, new lineages may arise quickly". For example, species closest to the root of the polypod phylogeny have rhizome scales; the later-evolving Lecanopteris species have hairs. The bottom line is that without the hollow rhizomes, these species are very difficult to place. Lecanopteris is immersed phylogenetically in the sprawling Microsorum".

• 1 year later...

Maybe I am too much an ignorant... ;)

However, as long as no good DNA-data are available to allow a really good phylogeny for my taste many of the attempts to create groups within genera or families (sub-genera or sub-families) remain highly speculative. They imply lineages we often cannot prove without a good analysis on genetic level.

This may be good phylogenetic evidence. Reading the free abstract should suffice.  http://www.jstor.org/stable/40211932?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Stable URL, http://www.jstor.org/stable/40211932

I will also duplicate this here.

M. megalophylla. "A New Species of Microgramma (Polypodiaceae) from Brazil and Recircumscription of the Genus Based on Phylogenetic Evidence.  Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/40211932.

Alexandre Salino , Thais Elias Almeida , Alan R. Smith , Adrianna Navarro Gómez , Hans-Peter Kreier and Harald Schneider, Systematic Botany,Vol. 33, No. 4 (Oct. - Dec., 2008), pp. 630-635.

This re-circumscription of the genus includes Solanopteris and has also found that Microgramma bifrons (that some still think is a Solanopteris) is sister species to Microgramma lycopodioides. Surely incontrovertible evidence.

• 2 weeks later...

I will repeat a previous sentence of mine. "This re-circumscription of the genus includes Solanopteris and has also found that Microgramma bifrons (that some still think is a Solanopteris) is sister species to Microgramma lycopodioides. Surely incontrovertible evidence."   The article is "A New Species of Microgramma (Polypodiaceae) from Brazil and Recircumscription of the Genus Based on Phylogenetic Evidence". 

Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/40211932.

I will try to make this as clear as possible.  The genetic evidence provided by this study showed that Microgramma bifrons, a species that has ant-domatia tubers, is sister species to M. lycopodioides, a species that DOES NOT have tubers. This means that the possession of tubers is NOT a synapomorphy, in other word it does NOT, repeat NOT, form a separate branch of a phylogenetic tree.  Therefore, unless a new study is able to prove the current one wrong, Solanopteris CAN NOT be maintained as a new clade whether we call it a genus or even a sub genus.  It is not impossible that future evidence may refute these findings but this seems unlikely.  I fully expect to see future work for all tuberous species to use the genus Microgramma.  A tutorial on phylogenetics.

FIXED.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/phylogenetics_01

Bonjour

have you the consensus tree  for all the solanopteris (microgramma) an the others microgramma  like the lecanopteris genus (systematics of the ant fern genus lecanopteris from HAUFLER;GRAMMER;HENNIPMAN;RANKER;SMITH;SCHNEIDER)

in french we have a excellent book with a electronic version " la reconstruction phylogenetique ;concepts et methodes" from pascal TASSY and pierre DARLU  avril 2004 ;)

jeff

Bonjour

I have this document ,that comes perfectly complement the document to GAY;HENNIPMAN;HUXLEY;PARROTT.

we can see on the consensus tree all the lecanopteris species ( with the ancestor; the2 subgenus, the sisters)

on the genus solanopteris(microgramma) we have not a similar tree with all the species ? may be by lack fresh specimens ?

jeff

Archived